Family Fun: How to Give Back in the Riverwards This Holiday Season
By Jenn Perry
| December 10, 2015
While waiting for the big man in the red suit to arrive on Christmas Eve, our family spends our time embracing the true meaning of the holiday season. Volunteering together creates unforgettable memories and provides an amazing feeling of satisfaction for all members of our crew. While opportunities for children may seem scarce, they do exist. Raising kind and compassionate children is rewarding for parents and helps create a new generation of caring members of the community.
Here’s 13 ways you and your family can give back this holiday season:
- Head to Penn Treaty Park and hang some homemade peanut butter birdseed pinecones for our feathered friends.
- Donate DVD’s, paper towels or Goldfish crackers to the Ronald McDonald House.
- Drop off some Holiday Cards to the Penn Home at 1401 E. Susquehanna Ave.
- Volunteer a shift at family friendly organization Cradles to Crayons.
- Take a walk through Palmer Cemetery and send holiday wishes to historic community members who rest there.
- Mail a care package to our troops through Operation Shoebox.
- Bake a treat for an elderly neighbor.
- Drop by the new Fishtown SPCA and send season’s greetings to some cats and dogs.
- Invite a member of the military to your home for a holiday meal via Operation Fireside.
- Donate those gently used winter coats and boots to non-profit group, Feel the Warmth.
- Give a homeless pet a warm couch to snuggle on for the holiday season by fostering for ACCT Philly.
- Put together a few baggies of tissues, juice, granola bars, socks and gloves to hand out to the homeless.
- Get involved with family-friendly group Little Brothers, Friends of the Elderly and visit a lonely older friend this season.
New Playground Officially Opens at Penn Treaty Park
Penn Treaty Park’s new ADA accessible playground is complete, with a sparkling complement of slides, swings, and tunnels. The renovations are thanks to a coalition of the Riverwards community, particularly…
State Rep John Taylor to Host Kids Safety Fair at Cione Rec
State Representative John Taylor is gearing up to host a Kids Health and Safety Fair this Saturday, June 10th, at noon, to provide a “one-location, one-stop [shop]” for parents and…
WEEKEND PHOTOS: Atonement Church and By My Side Community Block Party & NoLibs Music Festival
All photos by Roman Blazic It was a fun-filled weekend in the Riverwards as the beautiful weather made for some family-friednly events in the neighborhoods. Atonement Church and By My…
Portside Arts Center Holds 10th Annual Lehigh Avenue Arts Festival Inside
The downpour that drenched the city this past Saturday did not stop patrons from coming and painting during the Lehigh Avenue Arts Festival. To avoid the rain, Portside…
Free Interactive Street Festival Coming to Kensington May 21st
Summer is right around the corner and to kick things off in style, on Sunday, May 21 Hope Street, a historic cobble stone street (between Front and Howard Streets) in…
Groundbreaking News at Adaire: Unique Partnership Between City Departments and Nonprofits Kicks Off New Schoolyard Project at Fishtown School
On February 21, 2017, the Alexander Adaire School at East Thompson and Palmer Streets hosted a groundbreaking ceremony for its new green schoolyard project. The project is part of a…
John Henry Scott